Lonres.com Rebrand – Thesis Concept

  • Category: Branding 
  • Completed at: Lonres.com, 2014
  • Responsibilities: Branding
  • Tools: Illustrator

I was briefed that the current brand wasn’t aligned enough with the image management wanted to portray and the customers they wanted to go after.  They felt that it was too friendly and wanted to develop a brand ‘family’ around our products.

Initial sketches produced some good ideas – I wanted to make sure that I produced a high-end, slick identity that could be extrapolated in a variety of ways.

Thesis

thesis-brand-lonresthesis-brand-lonres

This design was intended to evoke the feeling of a company founded on sound, good quality information.  The image I wanted to portray was one founded in research and study – an academic edge.   I used the parentheses as a framing device, referencing the technical feel and enforcing uniformity across all the designs.  The colours/designs used were meant to show a modern approach with old-fashioned values, and the facet pattern represents the different areas each product operates in.  

The three offspring logos demonstrated each system as thus: 

  • Lonres.com is purple, our main colour, but a slightly lighter shade than the main logo.  I made the .com smaller because it’s less important.
  • District uses a cool blue colour, meant to stand out against the other solutions on the market.  
  • Insight’s peach/orange colours works to create a feeling of impact, where great data can inform your business and products.

Stationery

stationery-thesisstationery-thesis

The stationery felt a little bland here – might be something to do with the logo itself.  It didn’t offer many opportunities for extending the application.  

Making changes

Feedback from management was that they liked the classy feel of the design, but weren’t keen on the brackets.  They also felt that the main logo was a little boring and could do with something else to lift it.  I decided to go back a little in time and work on some earlier concepts, making sure I fine-tuned as much of each design as possible. 

thesis-2-brand-lonresthesis-2-brand-lonres

I managed to put together a much more distinctive version of the main logo – the L shape on the left really stood out.  Whilst I’d worried about ditching the brackets, it actually didn’t affect the design much.  Rearranging the layout and adding a bar/pipe to the left made things work.  I also changed the d on District, because I felt it was a bit clunky in comparison to the others.

thesis-2-stationerythesis-2-stationery

Summing up

This ident came out well in the end.  I particularly liked how it fused old and new – a quality, crafted feel with modern colours.  The letter icons could be easily applied to any other products we developed, and it was very distinctive against anything else in the market too.

My main criticism would be that I couldn’t make each identity quite as uniform as I wanted.  I tried making each work in a variety of shapes but they didn’t work individually well enough.  Creating a family of logos has to be a balance between individual impact and group consistency.